Thursday, March 19, 2009

Banking on the Basics

Finding a title for this post was hard to do.........mainly because I am not sure which direction I am going. There are some things the LORD has been teaching me recently in some of my reading. I do see a common thread, but whether or not I join the pieces together at this juncture is still unknown to me. I think what is most on my heart is something that often comes up in my writing.........in my living, actually. That is God's sovereignty.

Three "studies", if you will, I am doing right now are: 1) Trusting God by Jerry Bridges (which I mentioned a long time ago.........and the group is still plodding along to get all the gems out of it, not hurriedly obviously), 2) LORD, I Need Grace To Make It Today by Kay Arthur and thirdly is a book I am slowly digesting by John Piper. 3) Spectacular Sins..and their global purpose in the glory of Jesus Christ. I mention these because one of the common threads is the amazing sovereignty of God.

For me, there is no greater foundation for my faith-walk than understanding, well maybe it is not so much understanding as much as believing confidently in His sovereignty. I cannot kid you nor myself into thinking that I understand it..........certainly not well enough to answer all the questions such a doctrine raises. But, with assurance, I can say that Scripture clearly teaches it and makes not apologies for it.

I think the most recent security check in my belief system came a couple of days ago when Monty and I were at the cardiologist's office for a follow-up from Monty's recent hospital stay. We reminded Dr. Kerns that we have a trip scheduled to Rota, Spain to see Lanny and Stacey Groves and their five children (who are our "family" without genetics), which is where they are ministering with Cadence Int. You can read more about them on Stacey's blog

Anyway, my point on sovereignty is that Dr. Kerns said we could go "at our own risk". My mind immediately jumped to God's sovereignty. We could stay here and wait for nothing/something to happen to him (he is still in atrial-flutter, which is not desirable)or go there and wait for something/nothing to happen!! It really is all in God's control. Both Monty and I are about living and not waiting to die. SO, we are excitedly awaiting the date for our departure to beautiful Rota, Spain, and I might add.....with great peace because of His sovereignty. What an amazing God we serve.

Psa 112:7 "He(she) does not fear bad news nor live in dread of what may happen for he(she) is settled in his(her) mind that Jehovah will take care of him(her)."

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Very well put!

Stacey said...

ditto, Rach!
that john piper book sounds interesting.
see you in 12 days! :)
xoxoxo

Shelly said...

Will be prayin for you! Book number 2 sounds great! I definitely identify Kay! How is that book working for you Mimi? Would you recommend it?