Saturday, November 24, 2007

Blessings in Disguise

Sometimes, no.....oftentimes, our blessings are disguised as inconveniences or interruptions. I am reading a book which is one of those that invades my thoughts constantly, challenging my perspective on things such as inconveniences and interruptions. I think I am supposed to blog about this book because I need to put my thoughts about it in writing.

I have made a few paradigm shifts in the reading of The Shack by William Young. It is a book of which Eugene Peterson (The Message) writes: "This book has the potential to do for our generation what John Bunyan's Pilgrim's Progress did for his. It's that good!" That piqued my attention, for sure. And then the fact that Kaylyn, one of our daughters, read it & gave it to me to read, saying she thought I would really like it. But since I was busy taking care of her four children and studying to teach the last few lessons for my Precept class, it just sat in my "to read" pile for a month.

And then it happened..... I was hooked. It is an interesting piece of writing that captured my heart and my mind.....stretching my mind in such a way that I have had to reread several passages to allow for the paradigm shift I mentioned. It has made me think about what I believe to be true about God and how I got that image. The story has taken me into the heart and nature of God in a way that was a bit uncomfortable, but a blessing in disguise.

Okay, with that as background, I can now get to my most recent Blessing in Disguise. Today I had planned (my first mistake............to have an expectation) to finish reading The Shack, even knowing that 3 granddaughters were spending the day here while their parents went to the Bedlam football game. So, I decided to create my own Bedlam here and invited the three other granddaughters who live here to come over and let their parents have some time alone. They went to a movie, and took Poppi with them, and left me here alone with 6 "Inconveniences- turned-Blessing". The only inconvenience was that I didn't finish what I had planned, but the blessing you can see for yourself below.

Does it get any better than that?? Such happy faces with their very own creation of their almost-home-made Gingerbread House!!! How much fun is that??



1 comment:

Unknown said...

I'm sold. I want to read the book now. I will wait until you have finished so it can sit on my to-read pile!!!