Friday, March 21, 2008

Encouraging Words

Sometimes it seems a strange thing how unexpectedly encouraging words can change us. With that most recent stay in the hospital (Mar 14-19), God provided us with some "Barnabas" experiences. One happened on Monday morning when I was walking the halls of the Heart Hospital while going over what was happening with one of my daughters who is in CO. Long story short, I ran into the doctor (Dr. Ghanni) who had done the procedure on Monty when he was having his second massive heart attack.

He seemed surprised to see me. When I told him that we were back because of the fluid on Monty's lung and that this had been our second trip to the ER since we had left on the 6th, he said he was sorry to hear that. But then he went on to say that with all of the events that had happened to him (7 in 7 days), it is no wonder. He explained that it is a balancing act for doctors to find the right combination of medications for each individual and sometimes dehydration occurs (the first trip back) and congestive heart failure, = fluid on the lungs, occurs. And then came the encouraging words!!! "But in a couple of months, he will be fine......back to his activities and strong again!"

I asked him if he really believed that.......to which he replied, "I have NO DOUBT!!! His heart has made it through these two things just fine and with the adjustment to his meds and some time to recover from the two blows to his heart, he will be fine!!" Now I tell you, friends, those were encouraging words!!

The second source of encouragement came from the home health nurse today when she saw him, listened to his heart and lungs and said "You sound great! Your heartbeat is strong and regular and your lungs are completely clear!"

If you have been on this journey with us the past few weeks, I hope you are encouraged by this blog and are praising the LORD with us!!

(P.S.) One prayer request: his kidney function is still in jeopardy. He can only have 7 grams of protein a day and only 1 gram of salt. Pray that either his kidney heals, or I learn soon how to make tasty food without much protein options!!!

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

ONE of my memory verses for this semester.It's been such a comfort to me, especially the last line: Nahum 1:7
MLH

Anonymous said...

PTL! I'm so happy for you and your beautiful family! I'm praying "non-ceasingly" (that a word?).
I love you all, Jerry W.

Unknown said...

I'm so glad it's 7 oz. and not grams anymore!!!

Stacey said...

Thanks for your encouraging words to me on my blog! I am glad things are well. You are right that well timed words of grace can mean so much; and unfortunately careless words can do such harm. I am rejoicing with you!

shanna said...

I am definitely rejoicing with you!!!!!!