Thursday, March 20, 2008

Through the Valley of the Shadow #7

Looking back into these events from this perspective now gives me even greater understanding of how important it is to see God's sovereignty over all. Clearly, He was orchestrating the timing of Monty's having those 7 events in 7 days, which as several nurses and physicians have said to us usually happen with heart patients over 7-10 years. No wonder they were afraid to let us go home. They were not sure of what would happen next. But, the LORD knew, and had such a great plan for us.

Mar 4 (Notes from my journal)
Still in the Heart Hospital
Well, Precious LORD, how grateful I am that I have you in my life to live this trial by the power of Your Life, Your Spirit within me. I cannot imagine how unbelievers do this.
Romans 14:7-8 None of us lives to himself [but to the Lord], and none of us dies to himself [but to the Lord, for] 8 If we live, we live to the Lord, and if we die, we die to the Lord. So then, whether we live or we die, we belong to the Lord. AMP

Another hard night with very little sleep, which has become the norm for me. I know that I am being sustained by Your power in answer to the many prayers my brothers and sisters are saying on my behalf. Bless them, LORD Jesus, as only You can for their faithfulness to pray for us. You have given to us the peace that surpasses all comprehension, and I know it full well. We are so blessed with such wonderful friends.

When another long time friend came in this morning, I saw tears well up in Monty’s eyes and I knew he needed time alone with him. So once again, I had everyone leave so they could say whatever was on their hearts. Monty could not talk about it all day long without getting emotional. We had so many visitors, which he thoroughly enjoyed. I know that helped all of them, also, since they had prayed so fervently for him all of this time. How blessed they were to see him looking so well.

Now it is just a matter of getting his meds all at the right levels for his clotting, fluid retention, and kidney function. I do thank You for allowing scientists to discover what they have about helping the body through medication. I know that You are sustaining Monty’s life through those means.

I praise You for the many ways You are displaying Your power and glory to others looking on. I thank You for Monty’s boldness with each of the techs and nurses who have cared for him. He made such a great statement the other day; “The one who wipes your bottom deserves the same respect as the doctor who looks into your heart! Each of them is doing their job to help him.” Thank You for giving me such a man!!

Mar 5
Heart hospital – 3 a.m.
To You, Father God, be the glory. This is all about You. It has been in Your plan which You have been unfolding before us our lifetime together. As I have been lying here for the last hour, trying to go back to sleep (which I thought I needed so much), I have been going over in my mind the events of the past 9-10 days, I see Your hand all over it. I don’t know how or where any of this information will go, but I know it has all happened for Your glory. How humbled both of us are that You would choose us as a showcase of Your grace and glory through such a trial as this. I pray that You will continue to use it to heal relationships that are broken, help others speak words of love to one another.

Thank You, thank You, thank You!! How faithful You are to answer prayers that I prayed so many years ago. Thank You that You never forget what I have asked through the years, and that it is in Your perfect way and time. Over and over I have seen Your hand in the lives of those who are coming around us and going through this process with us.

“I magnify You, O LORD. I exult Your name, for You are great and highly to be praised. I praise You for the glorious splendor of Your majesty and the power of Your awe-inspiring acts. Your power is unlimited and absolute—it is beyond imagining. You are able to do immeasurable more than we can ask or dream of. ‘There is nothing too hard for You’. “Who is like You, majestic in holiness, awesome in You praiseworthy deed?’
“O LORD Most High, You rule over the heavens and the earth, for You made all things by Your great power and You sustain them by Your mighty Word. You are exalted high above every star and galaxy in the entire cosmos…….yet You are also ‘the God of all mankind,’ the great, personally present, personally involved God who loves, rescues, and takes care of all who trust You. You exercise Your gracious authority over all nations—and over each individual in all the world. There is none like You, the true God, the living God, the everlasting King.
“I praise You for Your sovereignty over both the broad events and the details of my life. With You ‘nothing is accidental, nothing is incidental, and no experience is wasted’…… ‘You hold in Your own power my breath of life and all my destiny’…… and every trial that You allow to happen is a platform on which You reveal Yourself, showing Your love and power, both to me and to others looking on. Thank You that I can move into the future non-defensively, with hands outstretched to whatever lies ahead, for You hold the future and You will always be with me, even to my old age….and through all eternity.” 31 Days of Praise by Ruth Myers

Mar 6
Day 11 in OKla Heart Hospital
Well, after being up since 4:15, I am ready for a nap, and it is only 9 in the morning! But we are so encouraged by what Dr. Kerns said this morning. When he came in, he said, “Do you want the good news or the good news?” The creatinine had stayed the same, which is 3.0. So they believe it has made the plateau. His INR was at a 3.1, which is high, so they are stopping one of the clotting meds. So, he said, that he is sure that he can go home tomorrow. Monty was disappointed and said he thought he was going to say the good news was that he could go home today. So, Dr. Kerns said that he would see if Dr. Wilson was okay with the creatinine being there and with sending him home and that maybe we would be able to leave later this afternoon. He asked me if I was okay with that, to which I said I did not want him to go home if he had any doubts about it.

Joy, the nurse who was taking care on Monty on Saturday when he had the second heart attack, came by to see him. She had been so great that day and we became very much kindred spirits. She was so calm and so professional and quick in the time of the emergency. I told her how thankful we were that she was his nurse that day. She told us she works down in the cath lab where they do the procedures and was only up here because they were short-handed and called her to sub for someone. She knew that You, Father God, had appointed her to be here for us.

Then suddenly at 4:00, they said we could go home!! Hallelujah!! What a mighty God You are!

Mar 7
HOME
Thank You, Father God, Sovereign LORD in Whom I live and move and have my being. What a miracle worker You are. Thank You, LORD!!! This entire journey has been just one blessing after another. Your mighty hand has shown us just a tiny bit of Your power to do more than we can ask or think. I pray that You will bring to my remembrance all of the great things You have done so that I will be quick to give You the glory and the praise. I can’t help but go back to that verse You gave us the day we went into the hospital……
Psalms 27:14 Wait on the LORD; Be of good courage and He shall strengthen your heart. Wait, I say, on the LORD.

Mar 8
Saturday at home
Most Gracious and Loving Father God, again, we have seen You fulfill Your word to us. How thankful I am that You have chosen to strengthen Monty’s physical heart as well as his spiritual one…………and mine………….and our children. You have lifted each of us and set us on higher ground. How thankful we are that You are the center of our lives, individually and as a family. Praise Your name. even though we are not sure how well he is really doing in his heart, I know that You are the true “Heart doctor”. And I truly do not fear whatever You have for us.

1 comment:

shanna said...

I am so strengthened and encouraged by the testimony of His faithfulness in your lives!!!