Monday, June 2, 2008

Greatest lessons I have learned

This title is not an original one; in fact it came from a book by that name that was compiled by Bill Bright, founder of Campus Crusade for Christ. I have had that book for several years, but had never read all of the stories in it until recently. On my walks in the neighborhood with Monty, I have been reading these interesting accounts of many people(some well-known in Christian circles and some not so well-known)and their "greatest lesson learned".

"How would you answer that question?" I asked myself!! And I would ask you that, as well. For me, I think I came up with two that have impacted me the most. Without going into the details of "how" I learned the lessons, (as was done in the book)I just want to cut to the chase and say "what" they are.

They both came very close to the same time in my Christian life, several years ago, and have certainly been the most impacting since becoming a follower of Jesus nearly a lifetime ago, it would seem. The first was that "I do not have to live the Christian life!" Christ is the only One Who can and by His amazing grace, He chooses to do that through me by His Spirit. I realized, after years of trying to "do all of the right things as a believer" that God's program is not a "do-it-yourself" or self-improvement course of following all of the rules and regulations of the Law. But, rather it is God Who is at work in me both to will and to do His good pleasure. Phil 2:13.

There are many great writings that explain how that all happens far better than I could in this brief post. And that is true also for the second great lesson I have learned and loved living.

IT is the sovereignty of God. I remember wrestling in my spirit with the LORD about this because my finite mind just could not put it all together. SO, one year when I was choosing my topic for the year in reading through the Bible, I picked "sovereignty" as the doctrine I would look for and mark!!! I was blown away at the end of that year when I went back through the version I used that year and saw how many times I had written "Sov" in the margins. I would say that it was on nearly every page.............at least once!!! I LOVED IT!!! And, I have loved it and lived it ever since.

I am redoing a study I did many years ago by Jerry Bridges, who was with the Navigators Ministry in Colorado for many years, called Trusting God. Both, the book and the study guide, are excellent and I highly recommend them if you are struggling or have struggled with the issue of His sovereignty. Give yourself a treat, and dive into this wonderful doctrine, if you have not done so by now. It is a great place to live and to love........God and others!!!

1 comment:

Stacey said...

good stuff, maynard. love the idea of picking one doctrine to look for...will have to start that next january! :)
xoxoxo
can't wait to be there soon!