Wednesday, April 28, 2010

Thankfulness

I haven't posted much in such a long time, and now it seems like the urge to write is constant in me. As I have written about tribulations, I see the deep need to connect the concept of thankfulness. I am coming to the place where I see more clearly that if we are not able to express thankfulness to God then that is a sign of not trusting Him fully.
Give thanks in all circumstances; for this is God's will for you in Christ Jesus. 1 Thess 5:18
Therefore since we are receiving a kingdom that cannot be shaken, let us be thankful, and so worship God acceptably with reverence and awe. Heb 12:28

If we say that we are Christians, then we are saying that we honor, revere, worship, adore, exalt, esteem, hold high the reputation of Jesus Christ. But if we grumble and complain about every trial and tribulation of life, we contradict our proclamation of esteeming Him as LORD. Every time we thank Him, we acknowledge that He is our LORD and Provider, which is the proper stance for a child of God............receiving with thanksgiving.

It is, in fact, the mundane, chronic, persistent trials of day to day living that war against our souls that often find us murmuring and complaining rather than giving thanks. It reminds me of the passage in James 3 about the tongue that I find in vs 10 in the Phillip's translation: "Blessings and curses come out of the same mouth--surely, my brothers, this is the sort of thing that NEVER ought to happen!" It goes on to say "Have you ever known a spring to give sweet and bitter water from the same source?"

It makes me want to say. "Have I ever grumbled...... murmured and trusted God at the same time?" Can't happen!!! Thanksgiving and trusting God go hand in hand!!

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Today's streams in the desert talked about singing a song of praise all day long!!!!