Saturday, February 7, 2009

Lying

You know those thoughts that swirl around in your mind while taking a shower, or some other "mindless" activity??? Well, I have had a post swimming in my brain for the past week that is about lying. It started like this:
"Monty, why would you put the bedroom phone in your sock drawer?"

Let me back up as to why that was my opening post statement that day in the shower. We had some of our grandchildren spending the night with us. They had been playing in our closet (I know because I heard drawers opening and closing)!! A couple of hours later when getting ready for bed, I looked for the phone that sits on the night stand. I never could find it!! The next morning I asked the children about it...... no one knew where it was. When Monty was getting dressed, he found it in his sock drawer!! Thus, "Monty, why would you put the bedroom phone in your sock drawer?" He didn't! "Not me" did!

Sooooo, that started my brain-journey down the road of lying!! Why is it that lying comes so easily? What is the underlying sin of lying??? Or is there one? Does it stand alone? I know that one of the seven things God's hates is a lying tongue. (Pr 6:16-19) But the first one is a proud look.

Could that be it?? Do the rest fall in after pride for a reason?? Is it because of pride that we lie, so people won't know what we are really like?

As some of you who have been reading my blog for the past several months know, our family has been going through the worst "trial and sorrow" of our time thus far. It has been because of the choice of one "living a lie". The damage that can come from lying lips has new depth of meaning for me.

The previous verses in Proverbs 6 are indeed sobering:
12-15 "A worthless person, a wicked man, walks with a perverse mouth; he winks with his eyes, he shuffles his feet, he points with his fingers, perversity is in his heart, he devises evil continually, he sows discord. Therefore his calamity shall come suddenly; suddenly he shall be broken without remedy."

So, back to my "phone in the sock drawer" and how it ties in with all of this...... 20-23 "My son, (daughter), keep your father's (mother's, poppi's, mimi's) command, and do not forsake the law of your mother (father's, poppi's mimi's). Bind them continually upon your HEART; tie them around your neck. When you roam, they will lead you; when you sleep, they will keep you; and when you awake, they will speak with you. For the commandment is a lamp, and the law a light; reproofs of instruction are the way of life."

Because God hates lying, so do I. And because it is such a matter of the heart, I am committed to my children and grandchildren to remind them that "the commandment......the law....instruction" all identify the Word of God, which provides the wisdom leading to abundant and eternal life.

So, I press on "preaching the Word in season and out of season" with all who come across our threshold, especially our GRANDchildren so that they may learn to walk in the Light as children of Light and not in the darkness of a lying tongue.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

This might be on my list to ask God: Who put the phone in the drawer? Oh, how I long to teach my children well!!! Sorry for all the years I lied to you. I'm not lying when I say, "Great Post!!!"